Specifying the Best – Aluminum Fixed Caged Ladder
Specify the Best – Aluminum Fixed Caged Ladder – Part II
We regularly receive questions asking what material of construction is best when specifying ladders. As noted in our Part I to Specifying the Best we have provided tips and information on specifying right material for your application.
In specifying an aluminum or carbon steel ladder design, always specify a fixed ladder design that incorporates recognized codes/standards and high quality component features. This includes:
- Review supplier’s ladder specification – should meet OSHA and ANSI requirements.
- Always review the design of the “ladder component assemblies.” If a supplier doesn’t outline their component design or if they tell you it is proprietary, move on to another supplier.
- Additionally, specify your preferred materials of construction (aluminum, carbon steel, stainless steel or other)
- If carbon steel is specified, outline your surface prep requirements, primer spec, topcoat spec and color.
- Be specific in defining unique requirements. For example, ladder cage, number of platforms, lock out door, guardrail extensions at the top, standoff bracket distance, safety gates, safety climb device, etc.
- Lastly, specify any special code or engineering requirements
High Quality Fixed Caged Ladders
All high quality fixed ladder designs can be supported with engineering calculations and a PE stamp from any state in the U.S., at additional cost. Additionally, as a standard, a custom drawing for each application should be provided by the ladder manufacturer.
High quality ladder designs don’t necessarily cost more than low quality ladder products. However, you must specify your requirements or you will likely be disappointed with the product received.
In comparison, an extruded ladder rung offered by Ascend Fab is twice the diameter of a competitor rung design and twice the thickness. Which rung assembly would you prefer? As previously noted, any quality ladder supplier should provide their component design descriptions for review. Below, we have provided Ascend Fab Component Descriptions for fixed ladders that is listed online:
- Aluminum shapes 6061-T6 unless otherwise noted
- Stringers – C3 x 1.50” x .130”
- Additionally, Rungs – 1.5” diameter extruded pipe rungs, non-slip per OSHA
- Lower Flared Hoop, 3” x .25” flat bar – Cage Systems
- Mid Hoop – 3” x .25” flat bar – Cage Systems
- Upper Hoops (2) – 3” x .25” flat bar – Cage Systems
- Vertical Bars – 1.5” x .1875” flat bar
- Brackets – 4” x .375” flat bar
- Platforms – Frame, C6 x 1.92” x .200”
- Walking Surface – 2” plank grating, 5052-H32
- Guardrail Posts – L3 x 3” x .25”
- Rails – 1.5” diameter sch. 40 pipe
- Toeboard – 4” x .25” flat bar
- Lastly, Hardware – 304 stainless steel
Know Your Supplier – About Us
Our “fixed ladder specification” and “component assemblies” are available online at www.ascendfab.com. Additionally, pricing for ladder assemblies from small ladder sizes (both caged and uncaged) up to vertical runs of over 150’ in height are also listed online. Our quote turnaround time is within 24 hours of inquiry. At Ascend Fab, we also stock as many of the standard size ladder assemblies commonly requested.
Contact the Us, the aluminum experts today: [email protected]ascendfab.com
Commercial Ladder on Building – California
Aluminum Radial Platform – Pennsylvania